- Help extend PTA work into all parts of the Council PTA territory, keeping such work in harmony with the Texas PTA plan;
- Shall coordinate the work of the officers and committees, in order that the Purposes may be promoted;
- Confirm that a quorum is present before conducting any business at any meeting of the Council PTA;
- Preside at all meetings of the Council PTA;
- Be authorized to sign contracts that have been approved by the executive board;
- Be listed as the principal officer and be authorized to sign tax documents;
- Confirm the executive board has reviewed and the membership has adopted the Texas PTA/PTSA Records Retention Policy annually;
- Appoint chairs of special committees, subject to the approval of the executive board;
- Be authorized to sign on bank accounts as one of two required signatures on all checks;
- Appoint an executive board member, subject to the approval of the executive board, who is not authorized to sign on the bank account to open, review, initial and date each bank statement;
- Represent the Council PTA as prescribed by the Area 7 PTA rules;
- Represent the Council PTA as a voting delegate at Area PTA meeting(s) and the Texas PTA convention;
- Send the Council Activity Report form to the Texas PTA as determined by Texas PTA;
- Confirm that all Council PTA officers and chairs are graduates of the current Texas PTA Leader Orientation or have completed the course by October 15, after their election or appointment;
- Send the names and addresses of the Council PTA officers and chairs to the Texas PTA Office by
- May 1 each year;
- Appoint a financial reconciliation committee, subject to the approval of the executive board; and
- Serve as ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating and financial reconciliation committees.
The newly-elected president, within thirty (30) days after the election meeting, shall call a meeting of the newly-elected officers to:
- Appoint a historian and a parliamentarian, subject to the approval of the executive board;
- Appoint standing committee chairs, subject to the approval of the executive board; and
- Conduct any other business as shall become necessary.
1st VP (Aide/Life Member): be the aide-to-the-president, serve as Council Life Member chair, and preside in the absence of the president (in the designated order).
2nd VP (Communications): be in charge of communications, maintain communication lists, advise the Local PTAs, prepare monthly Mentor Moments, coordinate Spotlight On awards, and preside in the absence of the president (in the designated order).
3rd VP (Programs/Calendar): be in charge of programs, maintain Council calendars, and preside in the absence of the president (in the designated order).
4th VP (Ways & Means/Financial Training): be in charge of ways and means (fundraising) and financial training, and preside in the absence of the president (in the designated order).
- Record the minutes of all meetings;
- Keep an accurate record of attendance at executive board meetings;
- Keep a current copy of the bylaws;
- Be responsible for the correspondence of the Council PTA;
- Keep a list of delegates and alternates for each Local PTA in membership, which shall not be released to outside interests;
- Keep an accurate list of the names of the Local PTAs in membership;
- Keep the names and addresses of the members of the executive board, Local PTA presidents, principals with Council PTA membership, and superintendent(s) within the Council PTA boundaries;
- Maintain records retention policy;
- Maintain the adopted ethics/conflict of interest policy as signed by the current executive board members; and
- Maintain a list of the names of Council PTA officers and standing committee chairs who have completed the Texas PTA Leader Orientation, with the dates each course was completed.
- Have custody of all funds of the Council PTA;
- Be responsible for the maintenance of such books of account and records as conform to the requirements of Article VI, Section 4;
- Make disbursements in accordance with the budget adopted by the Council PTA voting body;
- Sign on bank accounts as one of two required signatures on all checks;
- Present a financial report, both written and verbal, at every meeting of Council PTA and as requested by the executive board or the voting body;
- Make a full report at the annual meeting;
- Keep a record of each Local PTA’s Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN);
- Keep books of account and records including bank statements, cash receipts, budgets, invoices, paid receipts and canceled checks for in accordance with the records retention policy;
- Complete and file all necessary tax documents and;
- Present the books to the financial reconciliation committee as requested.
- Advise the presiding officer on questions of parliamentary procedure, and vote only when the vote is by ballot.
COMMITTEE CHAIR POSITION | JOB DESCRIPTION
|Arts in Education/
|Conduct Reflections Workshop for Local PTAs in the Fall. Execute and manage the collection, judging, advancement and recognition of Reflections Entries received from the local PTAs.|
|Back the Future Events||Coordinate two back the future events within one membership year, featuring active participation by community leaders and invite the media. Recruit at least one mayor, one city council member and one local business leader to join a Local PTA within NEISD.|
|Blossom Scholarship||Provide information about the Virgil T. Blossom Scholarship fund to the NEISD community. Chair committee to guide Local PTA Scholarship chairs in selecting their Blossom Scholarship recipient. Work with Treasurer to disburse funds to current recipients. Coordinate the Blossom Scholarship Luncheon in the Spring. Invite recipients to attend and organize coordination of the meal.|
|Oversee School Board Appreciation Week and Custodial Appreciation Week. Send out Council correspondence as requested by President and as needed. Assist with Hospitality.|
|Courtesy Chair||Set-up and manage sign-in sheets at each Council Regular meeting. Maintain accurate records in order to determine voting eligibility and establishment of a quorum. Provide folders for each school and assist with handouts provided by Council Board. Send all remaining handouts to PTAs not in attendance using PONY immediately after meeting.|
|Founders’ Day||Coordinate Founders’ Day activities with the honor PTA/School Administration, District Administration, and Council Founders’ Day committee. Conduct training workshops (with 1st VP – Life Membership) for local PTAs.|
|Healthy Lifestyles||Coordinate with Local Units to inform and distribute Healthy Lifestyles options and Healthy Lifestyle events to PTA members. Relay information from Texas PTA to Healthy Lifestyle Chairs.|
|Historian||Collect and preserve documents relating to the history of the Council PTA, and present a written report to the association as the official history to be adopted at the annual meeting.|
|Hospitality||Oversee food and beverages at Council Events. Work with various chairs including ISE, UBS and BS to provide event food options.|
|International Student Exchange (ISE)
|Coordinate a breakfast event to acknowledge and celebrate the International Exchange Students (ISE) in our school district (high schools only).|
|Legislation||Work together with our local units to assure wise legislative decisions regarding PTA and school district through knowledge of the legislative process and through and understanding of the issues at stake.|
|Lunchroom||Set up and facilitate the lunchroom committee meetings with Nutrition Services and committee members.|
|Membership||Keep the local units informed of important deadlines, materials and informational updates associated with National and State PTA membership. Assist any new Local Units in applying for membership. Keep current and accurate records from State PTA about Local PTAs’ membership status.|
|Partners in PTA||Coordinate the PIP program for the district. Communicate program initiatives through workshops, newletters and communications. Maintain PIP list. Assist PIP chairs with program initiatives.|
|Training||Coordinate and facilitate council training sessions.|
|Used Book Sale||Coordiate event schedule and logistics. Organize publicity and signage. Organize drop off dates as well as the actual sale. Make arrangements for any unsold books to be donated.|
|Used Book Sale
|Coordinate local unit participation in Used Book Sale. Conduct a Used Book Sale workshop.|
|Website||Maintain Council website, www.necouncilpta.com; and ensure that it is an effective, accurate and accessible communication tool for PTA events/issues. Maintain Council email account, Facebook and other social networking accounts; and keep in sync with assistance from the President. Create and maintain presentations/slide shows (training, meeting, etc) as requested. Maintain the Idea Bank and make available on website.|